What Triggers Depression in Elderly People?
Depression, a common chemical imbalance occurring in the brain, is caused and deepened further among seniors by these additional problems:
• Current physical condition or disease - deteriorating health problems dampen their feelings.
• Lack of mobility - not being able to travel alone or work worsens their melancholy.
• Death of a loved one - losing a spouse, sibling or relative causes a major emotional hardship.
• Being thrown or admitted into a caregiver home or institute - it deepens the sadness they feel due to the isolation from their family.
• Living alone - being away from their loved ones makes them feel sad.
All of these situations cloud their feelings and lead them to depression that may last for a long time if proper care and attention are not provided.
How Worse Can It Get?
Detecting depression among seniors is hard. Symptoms like insomnia or lack of appetite are common signs of aging-related health problems. It is not bad to feel depressed sometimes but prolonged melancholy leads to complications such as heart disorders, chronic insomnia and other vascular diseases.
Studies show 30% of people aged 65 years and up are suffering from clinical depression but they can be easily treated if detected early. Undetected and severe depression may lead to suicide.
How to Help Depressed Patients?
On the other hand, a figure of 90% of people suffering from depression is curable. Treatment is often successful even in the most serious cases. The immediate attention given to its early detection is most helpful. Medication or therapy is implemented by doctors on depression patients, yielding great results.
Following are main types of antidepressants commonly administered:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)
- Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
Therapeutic meditation is also receiving great attention by health professionals these days due to its high success rate.
Meditation tabs into the power of the mind to achieve a peaceful state. It enables the brain to think clearly, de-cluttering from negative thoughts. It is a beneficial method to answer the problems of seniors concerning depression.
If you feel your mother, grandmother, or any senior loved one is under depression, reach out and seek for help today. Consult an expert for the right solution.