Health Watch: Amoeba among Kids

Kids love to put anything in their mouths. They are not too conscious of dirt and they are not very particular with cleanliness. This is why there are so many children today that are getting stomach upsets, diseases and stomach infections borne out from ingesting unclean food and other unsanitary materials. One of the very common digestive system infections among many young kids today is amoebiasis.

Amoebiasis is easy to determine because of the following symptoms: loose stool, loss of appetite, abdominal cramping, bloody diarrhea, body weakness, stool with mucus, fever, smelly flatus and weight loss. If these symptoms are found, one should bring the patient to the hospital or a health care center to be medicated immediately. This is to prevent dehydration, severe weakness and further infection.

The infection is caused by the parasite entamoeba histolytica which is a common parasite that resides inside the body specifically on the large intestinal tract in few numbers. If these organisms increase in number or are disrupted, they invade the lining of the intestines and may spread to other organs thus precipitating systemic infection. If left untreated, it can be fatal to the kid experiencing the infection. It is very important therefore that parents know the source of this infection so that it will not affect their children.

The infection is mainly caused by ingestion of unsanitary food, contaminated water and poor hygiene. There are some people who are already immune to the organisms and so they will not usually get the infection. But some have weak immune system and so they get affected by it easily. Children with this infection are in great numbers because their immune system is not yet fully developed and so they are always susceptible to it. The goal of protecting kids from getting amoebiasis is to prepare them clean food and water while keeping their environment safe and clean.

This organism can damage the organs that it resides in because it is a parasite. If it affects the liver, the patient may manifest jaundice and later on will suffer liver damage. If it goes to intestines, lung and other body organs, it can cause septicemia. If left untreated, the patient may die because of shock. Anemia can also occur because of severe blood loss as well as weight loss and dehydration due to frequent diarrhea.

Since the symptoms of this infection are obvious and alarming, a lot of cases are solved soon enough especially among children. Children will complain and their discomfort is very obvious, making immediate treatment possible. There are already many medications today that can kill the parasite and restore health.

To prevent the occurrence of this infection which is common among children, proper food handling and cleanliness is a must. Also, kids have very delicate stomach and immune system, and that’s why they should be watched when they put something into their mouth.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.