Home Hazards That Can Hurt Your Lungs

Don’t make the mistake of thinking that you’re safe from pollution when you’re inside your home. Inside your home, there are various hazards that can actually cause harm to your lungs. Indoor pollution is a silent problem that many homeowners aren’t even aware of. Here are some of the household hazards that can hurt your and your family’s respiratory health.

Air Duct
The HVAC (heat, ventilation, and air conditioning) system can accumulate dust in the air ducts. Since dust is barely visible to the naked eye, you won’t notice that dust as well as other irritants are being blown into the air that you breathe inside your home. It’s a must to clean the air ducts regularly to avoid allergies and asthma attacks due to this.

Carpets collect dust and dirt. Every time you step on a carpet, you release a cloud of dust that most of the time you can’t even see. Other than that, carpets also release formaldehyde and other toxic compounds into the air. Floor carpets are not the only culprits. Wall-to-wall carpets are even worse as they can harbor more dust and they are a lot harder to clean. It’s best to have carpets removed from your home especially if anyone in the family has a respiratory ailment. If that’s not an option for some reason, make sure that you clean and vacuum the carpets every day.

Cleaning Products
Cleaning products are supposed to do something good for the home. They are designed to remove illness-causing bacteria and viruses. However, these products have chemicals that give off fumes. Those that contain ammonia and bleach are even more harmful. Green cleansers or old-fashioned cleaning agents like soap, water, baking soda and vinegar are the better options. Ensure that there is proper ventilation when cleaning a room.

Fireplaces and Wood Stoves
Fireplaces are installed inside the home to provide light and warmth. Unfortunately, they release irritating gases that can harm the health of your lungs. A fake fireplace is the better option. If you are a traditionalist, limit the use of fireplace by installing an efficient heating system inside the house.

Moisture is breeding ground for bacteria and molds. These things cause various kinds of illnesses and infections. The most common places with excess moisture include shower stalls, basements and even a wet sponge. All these things can promote the growth of molds and bacteria. It’s important to dry up wet or slippery areas right away. Use fans to increase the ventilation in kitchen and bathrooms. Don’t use a bath or kitchen sponge longer than two weeks.

Pet Dander and Droppings
One of the most common allergens is pet dander. You know you can’t live without your pet cat or dog, but somehow you need to do something about the animal dander that is spread all over your house. Avoid any problem by washing and grooming your pet at least twice a month. Don’t let him/her wander or sleep in your bedroom especially if you have allergies, asthma, or COPD.

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment may take some time to appear.