Who does not love food and eating? People are generally inclined to eating whether they feel hunger in the physical or psychological sense. Food provides nourishment to the body in order to maintain its proper functioning. Food also provides us comfort and happiness in times when we feel sad and depressed.
Whenever families get together, we tend to bond over food and drinks. Even outside the home when we are socializing with friends, officemates and other people, food is an indispensable part of the event. But as we all know, too much of something can bring danger. Eating too much sweet and salty food will lead to serious diseases like diabetes.
If you have just been recently diagnosed with diabetes, you need not to fear changing your entire diet. As a matter of fact, you can still eat and enjoy your favorite foods by ensuring that they are part of a healthy and a balanced diet. You also need to maintain a healthy appetite to keep your body well and functioning accordingly.
Here is a rundown of some helpful tips that you can follow in order to keep your appetite healthy:
1. If you are the one designated with all the cooking tasks in your home, take time to consider foods belonging to the different groups of the food pyramid. Make sure to include something from each group in your daily eating habits.
2. Cut down on fat, salt and sugar intake. Have more fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
3. Aside from the variety in the kinds of food that you eat, also make sure that you follow the recommended portions. Excess especially in fat, salt and sugar can lead to more serious problems in the future.
4. Eat breakfast. People usually skip breakfast due to time shortage, but this is a bad habit. Our body needs food to start the day right. Food serves as fuel when we start doing our daily work, and when we skip breakfast, we do not have sufficient supply of the much-needed energy for the body to function well.
5. Always eat meals on time. Do not skip any meal because you will deprive your body of the supply of energy it needs to last the whole day. For diabetics, this practice can help control the blood glucose levels.
6. If you are craving snacks, opt for the healthy choices. Instead of munching on salty chips, candies, soda and other unhealthy stuff, try fruits, nuts, oatmeal, fruit juice or a sandwich made with whole-grain bread and healthy filling to satisfy your mid-day or late afternoon hunger pangs.
7. Drink the recommended amount of water everyday.
8. When you feel hungry, try to discern whether it is a physical or a psychological type.
Maintaining a healthy appetite is not as difficult as most people think. You just need to have a little discipline and the determination to keep your body fit and healthy.