Most experts would say that stress can affect our health aside from giving us emotional baggage. Also, studies show that there are many health problems related to stress. Stress can indeed worsen or increase the chances of a person to acquire diseases and illnesses.
Here is a list of some of the health problems that you can get from stress:
- Heart disease
- Depression and anxiety
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Alzheimer's disease
- Accelerated aging
- Premature death
You may still wonder about why stress can make people sick. Medical experts clarify that stress is not only a feeling but a built-in physiologic response whenever the body feels threatened. The body of a person responds to stress as follows:
- The blood vessels constrict and the blood pressure rises, as well as the pulse rate.
- Also, you may notice that when you are stressed, you tend to breathe at a faster rate.
- Adrenaline, cortisol and other hormones can flood the bloodstream of a person who is stressed.
Manage Your Stress
Do not despair because there are ways to manage your stress. Stress management techniques can make you feel better and might give you health benefits in the long run. Many people are still skeptical about stress management because they were used to living a very stressful life and were made to believe that life is indeed stressful. Some even believe that managing stress is next to impossible. Experts say that you cannot totally remove all the things that cause you stress, but you can change your respond to these. Here are some tips that may help you cope up with stress:
- Breathing deeply can calm you down. This is one stress relief that you can do anywhere.
- Get some stress relief by focusing on what you are doing at the moment. Thinking too much about the past or the future is stressful.
- Look at things in a different perspective; you can decide that things don't have to be all that bad.
- When you are feeling stressed out, try to think of the things that makes you happy.
- Regular exercise can help because this will make you acquire better moods and more energy for everyday life.