Pregnancy doesn’t have to restrict traveling. The second trimester (13th~27th week) is generally considered the safest time to travel. During this time morning sickness and chances of going into premature labor are minimal. However, precautions have to be taken at all times to have a safe and comfortable trip. Below are helpful points to remember while traveling during pregnancy.
1. Do not take unnecessary trips during pregnancy unless you have to.
2. Consult your gynecologist before embarking on a trip. Plan your trip based on his/her advice.
3. Do not forget to carry your pre-natal card and medical records with you.
4. You should be aware of foods and drugs that can cause allergies, in general and particular to the place you will be visiting.
5. Your health insurance should give coverage while traveling during pregnancy. In case you are going to a foreign country, make sure that your health insurance policy is valid there. You would possibly need a supplementary travel policy and an emergency medical repatriation policy too.
6. Pregnancy increases appetite. So keep a stock of healthy snacks with you, or else you will be tempted to have junk food which is easily accessible but not so advisable to eat during pregnancy.
7. Eat fully-cooked food. Avoid salads; they are not a safe option.
8. You must travel in a comfortable mode. While traveling by air, you should get up from your seat and move around every hour. When you are traveling by car, take frequent breaks, walk around and stretch your body every hour. These simple activities are vital as they eliminate the chances of blood clotting and prevent your body from becoming stiff and sore.
9. While you are pregnant you tend to drink more water than usual. This often poses a problem while traveling. You might have to use the restrooms more frequently, but do not stop drinking water as it might lead to dehydration which can result in hazardous consequences.
10. While traveling during pregnancy, wear comfortable shoes. Water retention and swelling of the feet are quite common. You can wear sports shoes which are really comfortable and can be worn for a long period of time.