Work is part of your life. The office is your second home. It's where you spend most of your days. Your job is not just a source of income but a source of fulfillment and venue for growth as well. If you love your job then you know that it's of vital importance to work smart, safe and healthy.
If you're passionate about your career and would want to climb the ladder of success faster than everyone, then you have to work smart. But this doesn't mean you have to sacrifice the quality of your life.
- The first necessary virtue is punctuality. Time is always of the essence at the workplace. You can never be late with anything whether it's going to work, submitting paperwork, attending meetings, and so on.
- Another thing to keep in mind is productivity. Make use of your time well. Learn the art of multitasking to get more tasks done in a shorter time while maintain high quality performance.
- Just make sure that you don't let your work take a toll on your personal life. In order to succeed in your job, it's vital that you're happy from within. And you can't be happy if you don't pay as much attention to your personal life and relationships. Striking a balance between the two is a must. This is what working smart truly means.
We have just said that the office is your second home. And because of that, you feel like you're in your safety zone whenever you're at work. Don't be too complacent. Take a good look around and recognize any dangers lurking in the workplace. It's a must that you bring any hazard to the attention of your superior. For example, if you notice the fire exit is blocked (or has a possibility of becoming blocked) by the file cabinet, say something. You don't want to be trapped inside a burning building during a fire accident, needless to say.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and use common sense.
- Talk to your boss about the safety repercussions of a certain task and tell him/her upfront you're not comfortable doing that.
- Don't do things that you think will jeopardize your safety even if it was ordered by the boss. You'd rather be safe than obedient.
Being careful about your safety can make a difference.
Stay in tiptop shape while you work. Many employees make the mistake of working endlessly and ending up getting sick and absent for an entire week. Don't be that kind of employee.
- Work to the best of your ability but don't abuse your body.
- Keep yourself in good shape by eating healthy, exercising regularly, and getting sufficient rest.
- Avoid getting overly stressed.
Moreover, make your condition and working environment comfortable and healthy. For example:
- Adjust your chair in such a way that you can sit with your back straight and your feet flat on the floor.
- Keep reading materials at eye level so you can avoid leaning over your desk.
- Stretch your muscles during lunch hour to prevent lower back pain.
- Take frequent breaks away from the computer.
- Move around whenever possible.